Monday, March 30, 2020

Why hide it?

During my formative years, I had to vehemently deny the presence of any issues within myself. Starting from a young age, whenever my peers or friends discovered that I had ADHD or was hyperactive, they would inevitably treat me as if I were defective or afflicted. Consequently, for the majority of my existence, I suppressed and hid any potential mental ailments, solely for the purpose of self-preservation.

This constant need to maintain a facade of normalcy and conceal any hint of mental distress became an integral part of my life. From early on, the fear of being perceived as broken or diseased by others forced me into a cycle of denial and secrecy. It was a defensive mechanism, a means to protect myself from the stigma and judgment that surrounded mental illness.

Throughout my journey, I became an expert at masking my struggles, putting on a brave face while battling internal turmoil. The weight of pretending to be "fine" grew heavier with each passing day, but I persisted, determined to shield myself from the potential rejection and misunderstanding that awaited me if my true condition was revealed.

The choice to hide my mental sickness wasn't an easy one. It meant sacrificing authenticity and denying a fundamental part of who I am. But in a world that often stigmatizes and marginalizes those with mental health challenges, self-preservation seemed like the only viable option.

Now, as I reflect upon my past, I recognize the toll it took on me. The constant effort to deny, suppress, and conceal left me exhausted and isolated. It's time to break free from the chains of secrecy and embrace my truth, knowing that I am not defined by any mental illness but rather by my resilience and strength.

Today, I stand tall, ready to share my journey and experiences with others, hoping to dismantle the barriers and misconceptions surrounding mental health. By speaking my truth, I hope to inspire understanding, compassion, and acceptance in a world that desperately needs it.

No longer will I allow the fear of judgment or rejection to hold me back. I am breaking free from the shadows, ready to embrace my authentic self and pave the way for a more inclusive and empathetic society.

No comments:

Post a Comment